Sunday, March 8, 2009

03.08.09

It is the week before our trip to New York and I definitely have many expectations of the trip.
My biggest expectations for the trip are of course for the Design appointments. I have high hopes that New York Design is more innovative in thinking and creativity in respect to the Los Angeles way of design. Other than seeing how the two cities juxtapose each other, I am generally just excited to roam around the city on my free time and see if New York would be a place that I might find myself living and working in for a few years.

Going back to New York design, the one company that I feel I am very interested in seeing at this point in time is Wallace Church, mostly because they have interesting packaging design and I feel that packaging may be one of the few avenues of design that I may find myself sauntering down in the near future.

I do feel however that whatever design firm we visit, I will most certainly have skills that fit into those companies. I have the abilities to use computers along with software such as the adobe creative suite, and also the ability to adapt to any new software that may come out. I also have the basics under my belt, such as drawing and rendering capabilities. I feel strongly also that not only do my skills fit in, but also my thinking. I find that I do think differently than most of my friends and colleagues, and that my way of thinking benefits my design in many ways.

Going to the east coast however, will probably be a big change in pace of how I think. Growing up in the west coast definitly is a different experience, especially living in Los Angeles. Design especially I feel has a rift in regards to west coast versus east coast design. West coast design, I feel has a longer marinating time. Design have a longer sitting period for people to actually take in what they are seeing and decide whether they like it or not. East coast design seems to be much more fast paced. When the concept starts settling in, a new one has already taken its place. However these are all just opinons and preconceptions of mine and will most likely change after my visit and close analyzation of New York design, but for now, that is just my opinon of how the two differ from each other.

Until next time!

Feed the Omen!

-John Eng Cheng

No comments:

Post a Comment