Monday, March 9, 2009

KP's pre trip answers (more official than Daniel's)

(hahaha. Daniel, after reading the title of your post I could not resist)



What are your expectations for the trip and design appointments?


I am completely optimistic about this trip. No matter what I gain from this trip, I know it will be a fantastic experience. I am filled with child-like giddy anxiety right now waiting for the trip to begin. I love New York! I have been there 3 times, but each trip was slightly touristy, filled with trips to cliche locations and museums. I expect that this trip will present me with a new view of New York, seen through a professional designer lens. I expect that this trip will give me a better idea of life working in the design world - in different environments. It will help gear me in my career goals. I know that this trip will be a thorough design based experience that will be inspiring, educational, and wonderfully overwhelming. Also, I am excited to be in New York with a bunch of good friends.

What company or companies are you most excited to visit?

I am excited for all the appointments. I have very diverse interests, and at this point I am not really sure about what type of design environment I want to work in in the future. Comparing all the firms will help me identify what I would be interested in pursuing.

I am excited for Nickelodeon because of the subject matter. I don't think I would every want to work there but I know it will be a fun experience.

I am also interested in CBS because I use to work at USC's Trojan Vision as the graphics manager. I designed the lower thirds and other elements used in their broadcasts. This appointment will show me what a real station does with their TV graphics.

I am also super pumped for Martha!! It is like the inner sanctum of Stepford Wives! I want to wear pink to this. :)

How do your interests or skills fit with the firms that we are visiting?

My interests align will all the firms in one way or another from the clients, to the content, to the particular design approaches... My goal is to be exposed to a variety of firms and identify what I am most attracted to because I could be easily attracted to any of the firms (but Nickelodeon and Martha Stewart) considering that they are all design based. Those two companies are a little extreme for me, but they will provide a unique experience. I want to find my ideal firm.

How would you define “West Coast” design? How does it defer from “East Coast” design?

I still have a lot to learn about design, but I believe the design developed on each coast reflects the lifestyle of the area. "East Coast" design seems sharper, tighter, and cleaner. It appears to focus a lot on branding and identity. However, there are some firms that could appear to be "West Coast" because of the novelty. "West Coast" design seems to be a little more relaxed and focused on cultural trends and styles. There appear to be more "movements" on the West Coast.

I have no idea if any of that is accurate. One of the reasons I am going on this trip is to learn the answer to this question. I am a Southern Californian, born and raised, so I have a lot to learn about the East Coast.

1 comment:

  1. I like playing the video while reading all of your answers... go Frankie.

    ReplyDelete