Friday, March 13, 2009

Responses (better late than never)

I’m really not sure what to expect. I could expect bland walking tours of pseudo-cubicle farms and grandiose conference rooms. I could expect intimate immersions into each companies’ inner souls. Or something in between. From all the suspense, it’s hard to imagine it, but it seems that these companies are really excited to host us; especially CBS with their mysterious, diabolical plan to—perhaps—get us on TV. Maybe I should expect more liability waivers to sign. I’m really not sure what to expect. I’ve never been to New York, or the east coast for that matter. I’ve been to the Toronto International Airport for more than 12 hours just waiting for a plane to get me to London; that was back in Summer 2007. That was the longest I’ve been on that side of the continent. I’m not really sure what to expect but I’m going to assume something close to, memorable.

I’m gunning for Enamel Design, Courtney&Co, Siegel+Gale, C&G Partners. Even though Enamel Design either doesn’t have a website of its own or a website that features a fairly large picture of a horse and a comfortable-looking rooster (enameldesign.com), I’m anticipating this based on their work on Rogan clothing which I appreciate (both the apparel and web design). Courtney&Co just seems fun, with a culture that’s conducive to creativity. Siegel+Gale seems to just know what its doing; this assessment simply based on the fact that I laid back in my chair and watched the entire intro reel to their website. C&G because their client list is full of entities that really do matter, sans UCLA. And they just have, a lot of clients. I selected these against the others solely based on presentation—their websites. The others, granted I know are kick ass, just didn’t have it together with their website, ie their first impression. Had I been a big-name potential client and first saw their websites and not known much else about them, I wouldn’t have looked twice.

My interests have developed to the point where I have a beginner’s idea of what I want to end up doing for at least the next 8-10 years. I think I would be more productive, creative, and all those types of words in a small company that does everything that the big boy advertising companies do, but with five times more effort by nature of scale. I was an Advertising minor through the Annenberg school, as well, so I have some point of reference to back up my stance. Though, I do admit that having an internship at an advertising/full-service firm of the likes of Landor or Roadside may have given me a clearer picture. But I think I’m more fit for smaller places that give their designers more control.

I am sure that there’s a difference, but I really can’t say. I know there’s a difference between American design and say, Dutch design, but I wouldn’t be able to slap an “East” and “West” label on things if I were tested. The easiest way that I would possibly be able to distinguish the two is based on context and application. Are the designs and advertisements exclusively put up or distributed in urban settings? or coastal settings? If the latter I would maybe lean toward “West,” for example. Hard to explain in words, but it’s context and application (on what, where, when, etc.) that would supply enough clues to slap either an “East” or “West” sticker on some design.

–Coleman

No comments:

Post a Comment