Monday, March 16, 2009

Not a case of the Mondays - just a FUNday!!

Sorry the headline is so cheesy :)

Today was our first day of design firm appointments, and wow. It is 2:00 am right now and I am exhausted but I feel obligated to write something in order to help recap this incredible trip.

We began the day with a tour of Roadside Entertainment. The company isn't design based, but it was interesting to hear them talk about their work that includes documentary film making and a lot of stuff for ESPN. If I liked sports more or if I knew how to create motion graphics maybe I would be interested in working there, but right now, not at all. However, they were very engaging guys and made the tour interesting despite the general lack of interest from the design students.


Everyone looks sad in this picture at Roadside because it was during the presentation and we were all either really focused or half asleep (from it being early!).

Next stop - Landor.


Landor has a great history (look it up) and is focused on brand identity. So, I talked with John Cheng after and we are both going to work here!!!! Well, we want to. They have international offices and another big office in San Francisco... so many opportunities for the future. :)

After Landor we went to AIGA, the professional association for design. I am glad we went because it definitely opened my eyes to the opportunities that this association provides. I just bought a membership because I was in the club. I wasn't sure what was available.


That book was created by AIGA and was distributed to a bunch of politicians after the 2000 presidential election in order to explain the power of design and how it can improve ballots and other elements of elections. Here is more info about the book > click!

In front of the HONOR sign. Oh we earned it!


Our last appointment was at Martha Stewart Living. I thought this appointment was going to be corny and as a result I wore pink to play on the cute-sy-ness of it all, but I was actually blown away by this Martha empire. The location is the size of one city block and they do everything in house from cooking, arts and crafts, photo shoots, package design... it was incredible!!!! But despite the impressive nature of the place, it is still the design of Martha Stewart, which really isn't my style. While on the tour we even BUMPED INTO MARTHA! I don't get star struck, but Daniel and I freaked out. He took a picture on his iPhone, and the back of my head is in the image!!!!! Stealthy photo skills my man, very nice!!!! It was a great experience.


Our group in the Martha entrance. Apparently she really likes white walls.


The color palette!

Whitney at her future job.

I took a nap after all those appointments. After my narcoleptic episode, we went to dinner and then to Serendipity for dessert. So good!! I ordered a giant frozen hot chocolate and I was the only one to finish my dessert. It was a cute little eclectic place that carries a variety of amazing food options including a dessert with gold flakes. Anyone watch 30 Rock? This is the dessert Alec Baldwin joked about. A $1,000 dessert! When Charlotte and I are rich and famous we are going to order this and throw a gold party. I want to special order a platinum meal.


The opulent sundae on the menu.


Eating. A lot.


I did not stop until I finished my iced hot chocolate. For some reason they thought I gave it away... who gives away dessert? I finished that baby!

Ok. Done! Now for much needed sleeeeeeeep.

1 comment: