Sunday, March 22, 2009

The wind down

The following messages are brought to you by...
>
> Coleman
>>
>> First post. I'm late in typical Coleman fashion. So late that
>> everyone's already back in Los Angeles and I missed the plane.
>>
>> Kidding.
>>
>> I'm now sleeping over at an old high school friend's place in
>> Greenpoint, Brooklyn. She's great and makes me laugh (and squeak)
>> all day every day.
>>
>> I would post more photos at a time but Steve Jobs says no (I'm on
>> an iPhone). So I'll be posting one photo per post annoyances to cap
>> off the trip since I'm the last one standing.
>>
>> Among the standout appointments through the week (or at least the
>> ones that I can remember at this point) were S+G, Courtney&Co.,
>> Baseline, MTV/Nick, Martha, and Enamel. CBS takes the honorary-will-
>> never-(be able)-to-forget spot. S+G seems to be my #1 at the
>> moment, especially since they've got offices in LA and London-town.
>> They're approach and vibe seems pretty fresh and legit (and yes I
>> would not mind being one designer among the army of designers).
>>
>> AIGA was pretty chill, though honestly I was expecting a scene that
>> would rival something on Star Trek The Next Generation or something
>> with several designer cadets moving in and out of the main AIGA
>> brig through slick sliding doors, wearing CMYK colored uniforms
>> with small square communicators on their left breasts, ready to
>> phazer down the Tropicana/Pepsi Borg.
>>
>> Martha Stewart's digs were pretty surprisingly interesting. I
>> wasn't expecting a whole lot from my personal standpoint since that
>> niche of design isn't my thing but her operation is one hell of an
>> operation that I now can appreciate. Planning Christmas in March
>> however... errr not so much. And yes I took a photo of Martha
>> Stewart.
>>
>> The Stewart that I didn't get a photo of was Jon Stewart because
>> they actually threatened my life had I busted out any sort if
>> device during the Thursday night recording. "Threatened my life"
>> meaning confiscating my iPhone; one and the same pretty much.
>> Chandler (awesome guy) got some tickets from his friend who's a
>> writer there. We sat in the back with the sound and lighting crew
>> because it was packed due to Bruce Springsteen showing up with his
>> face. Afterward we got a small tour in the back dungeons. Jon said
>> hi, briskly, as I was absorbed in Charlotte's text that said "I
>> hope you meet Jon Stewart!".... as Jon Stewart disappears and I
>> just realize I missed saying hi to Jon Stewart while reading
>> Charlotte's text..........
>>
>> Baseline was a plethora of wise sage advice that I wouldn't mind
>> keeping in contact with if I relocate, which is something that this
>> trip definitely got me thinking about, all serious like.
>>
>> "In the Heights" was amazing. I wanted it to be longer actually.
>> And my fav was Sonny, the dude with the green hat; Julianne knows
>> why :D
>>
>> Other more out-of-order things: the Cooper Hewitt was great.
>> Coincidentally there was an exhibit all about felt fabric--my
>> favorite fabric. ever. It helped me appreciate my G-Star coat even
>> more since the exhibit covered the creation process instead of just
>> showing off cool felt pieces.
>>
>> Even more ironic is that everyone was talking about G-Star more
>> than I. Collateral damage, I suppose. Intentional? Only my master
>> plan? I don't know. Alia, my young padawan, you know what's good
>> for you :)
>>
>> That damn hotel. LOVED IT.
>>
>>
>>
>> John Coleman, V (( via mobile ))
>> Graphic Designer // jorohaco.com // 619 302 7801
>> Studio Arts B.A. & Communication Design Minor 2009 // University of
>> Southern California
>> Senior Designer // USC Spectrum Design Studio / 213 740 9751

2 comments:

  1. effin blogspot and you're screwy system. sorry about the formatting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it... it's post-modern

    ReplyDelete