Monday, March 9, 2009

Questions - Sarah's Response!

What are you expectations for the trip and design appointments?
I hope to learn a lot from this trip. I haven't had to chance to visit too many design studios, so all our design appointments are sure to be eye-openers for me. I also hope to be able to network with many different people during the trip. It will be nice to meet some of the alumi again and see what they have been up to. 

Also, this will be my second time in New York (the first was a seventh grade class trip to historic sites), and I can't wait to see what the design world is like in the east coast! I'm ready to get lost in the bookstores, cafes & restaurants, galleries, etc.. 

Overall, I am really excited. Can't wait!

What company or companies are you most excited to visit?
I'm actually looking forward to Martha Stewart. I'm starting to have an increasing interest in crafts and hand-made goods, so I would like to see what's in her studio!

How do you interests or skills fit with the firms that we are visiting?
I would like to see the corporate environment and designer lifestyle in the firms we will be visiting, because that is what I am currently considering for myself. It would be tremendously beneficial for me to compare and contrast different firms and see where I can fit in.

How would you define "west coast" design? How does it differ from "east coast" design?
In my opinion, I think west coast design is more centered around the entertainment industry, particularly in southern California. However, design in northern California is more independent and creative I feel, from what I have seen in design annuals. As for design in the east coast, I would guess that it is more corporate because of the city. I'm really not sure, but I'll find out when we get there!


No comments:

Post a Comment