Monday, March 9, 2009

Pre-trip Q&A / Sylvia

My expectations for the trip & design appointments. I have never been to New York before, so I do not quite know what to expect. I understand that life is lived at a different pace over there, and having grown up in the suburbs of Los Angeles, I am not quite sure if I can keep up. However, I can say that I am the walking/browsing type, so I am sure that I will enjoy exploring the area we are staying at. As for the design appointments -- I am very interested in seeing what the different creative environments look like and how they operate. And needless to say, I am also looking forward to more exposure to art and design.

The companies I am most excited to visit. I am quite interested in visiting Landor, Courtney & Co., Siegal+Gale, and Baseline, as what they are doing now is what I hope to do in the future: communication design / branding.

How my interests &/ skills fit with the firms that we are visiting. Communication design is where it's at.

How I would define "West Coast" design & how it differs from "East Coast" design. I imagine because of the different lifestyles, the two audiences receive not only different messages in accordance to each coast's values, but also have to be communicated to through different media considering how the cities are laid out and how transportation / communication works. I am not quite sure what specifically the differences in design between the two coasts are as I have no understanding of the different value systems... However, I believe it is safe to say that the East Coast's historical roots, its higher education system, corporate atmosphere, etc. play a large part in the EC audience's expectations and values, which then also shapes the art and design of the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment